“Suppliers like Pirelli play an instrumental role in helping us achieve our vision of being the most trusted mobility company”. These the words used by Hau Thai-Tang, Ford Chief Product Development and Purchasing Officer, to award Pirelli with the prestigious Annual Excellence Award celebrated by the American Company.
Pirelli was, indeed, recognized as a top-performing global supplier at the 21st annual Ford World Excellence Awards, receiving a Brand Pillar of Sustainability World Excellence Award. This recognition is particularly important for Pirelli, given the emphasis that the Italian group dedicates to sustainability. Not surprisingly, just a few months ago Pirelli was awarded gold also in RobecoSAM’s Sustainability Yearbook 2019. The company was the only one worldwide from the Auto Components sector to obtain a “Gold Class distinction” in the annual classification put together by RobecoSAM, the group which each year prepares the Dow Jones Sustainability Index by determining a company’s sustainability by analyzing its performance at the economic, environmental and social levels.
“Sustainability is a fundamental choice for Pirelli. It is fully integrated into the Group's vision and strategies for growth, in all business areas and in all management decisions, everywhere in the world. We applaud Ford for its strong leadership in sustainability: it has been an important stakeholder for Pirelli in areas such as responsible sourcing of natural rubber, carbon reduction, and materials innovation”, said Marco Crola, CEO of Pirelli Tire North America.
This is the second year in a row Pirelli has been awarded a top award from Ford for global performance. Last year, the “long P” was given a gold award for top production and delivery performance for its Bahia production site supporting US deliveries.
“The Pirelli team continues to take big strides in developing innovative products for a more responsible automotive industry. With Ford’s commitment to making mobility more efficient and sustainable, Pirelli plans to partner in this path, every step of the way” said Ernest Bedia, vice president of Original Equipment Pirelli Tire North America.
The award winners achieved the highest levels of global excellence in 10 categories, including:
• Quality, sustainability, safe and smart categories for suppliers that demonstrate leadership in Ford’s primary brand pillars
• Aligned business framework for suppliers that most exemplify the framework’s principles, with an emphasis on quality, value and innovation
• Special recognition for suppliers that delivered results exceeding expectations
• Diverse supplier of the year and supplier diversity development corporation of the year to honor suppliers that excel in integrating diversity into their organization and business process
• Gold and silver for supplier manufacturing sites demonstrating superior quality, delivery and cost performance throughout the year.