What car do you drive?
Discover all the Pirelli tyres that perfectly fit your car
TyreSafe is one of the UK’s leading tyre safety organisations, dedicated to raising awareness about the dangers associated with defective or illegal tyres. It was established in 2006 as a not for profit organisation and campaigns in line with current legislation and duty of care regulations. As a full member of the organisation, Pirelli completely supports all the initiatives raised in order to promote tyre safety in the UK.
1. Make sure your tyres have adequate tread depth to keep you safe and legal by taking the 20p test
2. Ensure your tyres are properly inflated and checked at least once a month and before any long journeys
3. Check the condition of your tyres by looking for any lumps, bulges or cracks and remove any objects embedded in the tread
4. When checking the tread, pressures and condition, don't forget the spare
5. Consider fitting winter weather tyres for the whole winter period. At temperatures below 7 degrees C they provide much better safety and grip
6. Remove wheels or jack the weight off any vehicles' tyres that will not be used over the winter months such as caravans, horseboxes or motorcycles
7. Visit your nearest participating tyre dealer for a free tyre safety check
In winter tread depth should be checked to ensure it is well above the legal minimum of 1.6mm across the central 3/4 of the tyre, around its entire circumference. TyreSafe has developed the 20p test for a simple and quick way to test your tyres' tread depth. Insert a 20p coin into the main grooves of the tyre and if the rim of the coin is covered by the tread this indicates sufficient tread depth to be safe and legal.
A current initiative for Tyre Safe is the promotion of cold weather tyres. During the winter months, it’s not just ice and snow that make our roads slippery and difficult to drive on. Even cold and damp conditions can make driving a dangerous task. In response, Pirelli and TyreSafe have created a short video designed to highlight the advantages of cold weather tyres…
For more information, visit www.tyresafe.org