Stuart Easton took an incredible 1.5 seconds off the Macau GP lap record as he notched a third consecutive win for both himself and Pirelli. Utilising next year’s Pirelli ‘Diablo Superbike’ customer tyre rear slick, Easton eased away from Michael Rutter and set an awesome 2.23.6 lap to shatter the existing record.
The Scottish ace won the event for the PBM Kawasaki World Superbike squad in his first ride for the team and enthused, “Three wins in a row and to go 1.5 seconds under the lap record was amazing. The Pirelli tyres were fantastic out there- thanks!”
PBM Kawasaki World Superbike team boss Paul Bird said, “Stuart was mega today and the tyres have been fantastic all the way through the event. A big thanks to Pirelli for supplying us the winning tyre.”
Easton ran a 2010 Pirelli Diablo Superbike SC2 front slick from the customer range paired with the soon to be introduced 2011 spec SC1 rear which will become a control tyre option in British Superbike next year and, crucially, be available to all racers and trackday riders.
Fellow Pirelli runner Simon Andrews was looking good for a podium in only his second attempt at this unique Far Eastern event but he suffered from a lack of power in the closing stages to go fourth. Andrews used the same Pirelli Diablo Superbike SC2 front as Easton but interestingly, got good results from a Road Racing development rear tyre giving good feedback for such events as the NW200 and Isle of Man TT.
Privateer Jimmy Storrar finished an impressive seventh at the event using Pirelli 17 inch slicks in contrast to the other riders’ 16.5 inch rim sizes. Other Pirelli runners of note included Cameron Donald (8th), James McBride (9th), Keith Amor (10th) and Rico Penzkofer (11th).
Pirelli Racing Manager Jason Griffiths said, “The Macau GP is a huge spectacle attracting massive media attention across Asia and is closely followed back home. The event means a lot to us, so to get three out of three wins since we started this programme is fantastic. Stuart rode superbly throughout and that’s now two different teams and manufacturers he’s won for, which emphasises his class. It’s also great for us to get a debut win for our 2011 spec compound which will be available not only in BSB but to all track riders. We felt for Simon Andrews, he rode strongly today and really deserved a podium.”
* Pirelli is the control tyre of the British Superbike (BSB) (2008-2015) and World Superbike (WSBK) Championships (2003-2012)
* Pirelli race activities help develop cutting edge road tyres
* Pirelli create tyres for every segment of motorcycling including supersport, sport touring, adventure, off-road and scooter products
* The Pirelli Diablo range of tyres have been developed as the ultimate road legal race bred tyres
* For more information on Pirelli products and activities visit www.pirellimoto.com
* Follow Pirelli activities at www.facebook.com/Pirelli
* BSB specification tyres can actually be bought by any racer or track day rider from top tyre dealerships
* BSB is the most watched domestic motorcycle race series in the world