Invented by Pirelli in the 1950s, the Cinturato was called “Extraordinary” by Juan Manuel Fangio.
The Argentinean ace, five times Formula 1 world champion between 1950 and 1957, was impressed by its absolute driving precision: unthinkable in those years for a traditional cross-ply tyre.
More rigid than cross-ply tyres, the Cinturato was the first tyre with a radial structure which wrapped around the carcass like a belt (Cintura in Italian). The result was a markedly sporting product, which was to make history. Later, the textile fibre of the first Cinturato was replaced by metal cord which gives even more rigidity to the structure: the very best for sports driving.
Over the years the construction philosophy of the Cinturato was applied to tyres for industrial vehicles and agricultural tractors.
By the end of 1968 Pirelli was exporting, or directly manufacturing, the Cinturato in as many as 137 countries worldwide.
In the meantime, Sandro Munari and his navigator Daniele Mannucci, first with the Fiat 124 Sport and later with the Fulvia HF 1600 ,both fitted with Pirelli Cinturato tyres, led the way on roads and dirt tracks all over the world.
As a result of continual technological advances, the story of the Cinturato continues today under the heading of “Green Performance”.
New eco-friendly materials and the elimination of highly aromatic oils from the compounds minimise the environmental impact, both at the production stage and over the life of the tyre, with no reduction in driving pleasure, cornering control or performance.