"The Pirelli Group recognizes the crucial importance of human resources, in the belief that the key to success in any business is the professional input of the people that work for it in a climate of fairness and mutual trust. The Pirelli Group safeguards health, safety and industrial hygiene in the workplace, both through management systems that are continually improving and developing and by promoting an approach to health and safety based on prevention and the effective handling of occupational risk. The Pirelli Group consider respect for workers' rights as fundamental to the business. Working relationships are managed placing particular emphasis on equal opportunity, on furthering each person's career development, and on turning their diversity to account by creating a multi-cultural working environment."
(Ethical Code – "Human Resources").
The above-mentioned principles are reiterated in the "Social Responsibility Group Policy for Occupational Health, Safety and Rights, and the Environment". The commitments taken by Pirelli through this Policy reflect not only the contents of the regulations above but also the SA8000® prescriptions , which for years has been the benchmark for Group social responsibility, and the United Nations Global Compact, of which Pirelli has been a member since 2004.
|Employees' statistics||Health and Safety||Diversity Management||Training and development|
Pirelli is characterised by its multicultural context, where individuals express an enormous wealth of diversity. Culturally aware management of that diversity simultaneously offers the company a competitive advantage and shared social value.
The commitment made by Pirelli to equal opportunity and development of diversity at the workplace is stated in the Group’s principal sustainability documents: the Ethical Code approved by the Board of Directors, in the Group Social Responsibility Policy for Occupational Health, Safety and Rights, and Environment and in the Equal Opportunities Statement, both signed by the Chairman. These documents have been distributed to all employees in their local language and published on the institutional website www.pirelli.com / Sustainability.
Aside from the respect of differences, what has to unite all Pirelli affiliates in the same corporate culture are its corporate values, policies and rules, which are applied worldwide, with the only difference lying in the language used to translate them.
International and multicultural scopes are the defining characteristic of the Group: we operate in over 160 countries on five continents, and 90.2% of our employees work outside Italy at December 31, 2012. Awareness of the cultural differences that create our identity underlies the Group’s reliance on managers having local origins: 78% of senior managers work in their country of origin. In order to develop the innovative and managerial potential inherent in multiculturalism and in different professional contexts, the company promotes the growth of its managers through international intercompany transfers (see the following paragraph about “Compensation and international mobility”).
It is no accident that 56% of the senior managers on active duty in 2012 have had at least one intercompany assignment in another country during their professional career. Moreover, at December 31, 2012, 15% of all managers on foreign assignment were women.
Pirelli is also committed to promoting maximum awareness of the positive differences that exist between genders in a complex organisation like Pirelli, while giving due consideration to the fact that it is necessarily impacted by the different cultures existing in the different countries.
In 2012 the number of women in the executive category reached 8%, the percentage of women in the Cadre category, the springboard to executive positions, reached 20%, while the percentage of women in managerial positions was 18%. A significant increase was recorded in the number of women out of the total number of white collars, accounting for 35% in 2012 compared to 31% in 2011 and out of the total number of blue collars, with 8% in 2012 compared to 5% in 2011. In 2012 the company had a total of 13% of women employees, 4 points above 2011. This represents a very significant figure and growth curve, especially in view of the industrial sector - Autoparts & Tyres – that Pirelli operates in.For more information about breakdown of employees by gender, age and category, go to the OnLine Report.